Mexican Wedding Cookie Snow Globes
I am always looking for new and unique ways to deliver a special batch of Christmas cookies to friends and family. These adorable snow globe esque jars of cookies are the perfect edition to your holiday. They are very easy to make and you can even get the kids involved! You will need a jar of your choosing (I used a mason jar), white paint and small brush (or a paint pen), ribbon and a few little figurines (or bottle trees).
Make sure to clean your jars first. Next on the outside of the jar create little white dots in a pattern that should resemble snow falling. Make sure to go all the way around and 3/4 of the way down the jar.
It is now time to bake your Mexican wedding cookies (recipe bellow)! Once cookies are completely cooled, lower cookies into bottom third of the jar. Then gently place in your bottle trees or figurines. Last but not least, add a pretty Christmas ribbon to the top of the jar, and you have your adorable gift!
2 stick unsalted butter
1 1/2 c. Confectioner’s Sugar
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. finely chopped pecans
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer on medium-high speed, beat the butter with ½ cup of the confectioners’ sugar (set remaining sugar aside for later) until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and beat to combine. With the mixer on low, gradually add the flour and salt until the dough comes together. Add in pecans and combine.
- Scoop out the dough by the tablespoonful and use your hands to roll into balls. Place the balls 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until cookies are set but before they begin to turn brown. Immediately transfer the cookies to a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Place the remaining powdered sugar in a shallow dish. Roll the warm cookies in sugar to coat, then return them to the rack to cool completely.
- Once cool, roll the cookies in confectioners’ sugar once again.